Monday, October 02, 2006

The Yosemite of Greece



This morning I woke up and sat on the beach reading my morning devotional (I’m reading Isaiah right now) as the sun came up over the ocean. What a great way to start the day! Then I headed out to Metora, a place I had seen some pictures of and wanted to visit. It’s about a 2 hour drive from the foot of Mt. Olympos. I was not disappointed. The rocks jut out of the earth like spires and monasteries have been built on the top of several of them. I think the pictures tell it all.


One of them shows a cave, which after a bit of hiking around I was able to find the trail head to. (There were also people rockclimbing up the spires like little ants)I’m not sure how long ago people built platforms and most likely lived in these caves, but it is amazing that they where able to use nothing but wood and holes carved into the rock walls to support themselves. I spent a few hours hiking around before heading back to the Afroditi hotel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, where is the one-legged stand near the edge picture?
jk, don't kill yourself doing it...
Dino

Joan P. said...

Wow, beautiful pictures! I really want to go to Paris during Thanksgiving, especially since L'Erhan is going and you will be there still. It will be a big American (sort of) reunion!