Sunday, November 26, 2006

Going back to Cali....

This should have been published three weeks ago.... but here it is. Better late than never.

So, over the past couple of months I have been going through an interview process for a new position within FM Global located back in the Walnut Creek office. It was the position, and not specifically the office that was drawing me back. My previous post decribed my trip to Wigan, UK. On the Monday that I left, I had a phone conference with the manager of my would be position to find out if I would receive a job offer or not.

As it turns out, I did receive an offer, but it was not for the position that I had originally applied for. I had originally applied for an Account Manager position, which deals much more with the financial side of our company and relationship with our customers. This would have been a pretty big jump for me from the Field Engineering position I am in currently. As it turns out the final two candidates were myself and my manager in S.F. And, righly so, he was offered the Account Manager position.

However, an Underwriting position was also open and was offered to me during the same conference call. This position is meant to be the position that Account Managers are often recruited from. So, with the prospect of another Account Manager position hopefully opening up sometime in the next 18 months of so, and an identical training program for both the Account Manager and Underwriting positions in the first 18 months, I decided to accept the offer.

The great part of this new job includes learning an entirely different aspect of our business, as well as the career growth opportunities that I hope it will open up for me. It will also be nice to be back in the Bay Area and close to friends and familiy, many of whom I havn't seen in 7-8 months.

The tough part of this move will be leaving Paris. Firstly, because I will be moving so soon. My start date looks to be January 8th in the Walnut Creek office, so when I head home for Christmas I will most likely be heading home on an "aller sample", one way ticket. Which means I only have about 3 weeks left here in France, at least for now.

I've really settled in here and feel comfertable with the way of life, work and play balance, and being surrounded by such historical monuments and culter everyday. When I walk out my front door, just by turning my head 180 degrees, I can see Notre Dame, Ilse de City (where Paris started), Point des Arts, and the Louvre. Now that's a way to start the day;) I think it will take a little time to adjust to being back in California from that point of view.

Just wanted to make sure everyone was being kept up to date. I look forward to seeing you all back in the states and if you ever visit Paris let me know. I've got a lot of recommendations..

1 comment: