Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go......

Tonight at 10:15pm I will start my journey to Jinja, Uganda, the first part of my trip which will find me in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo on the 5th of February. Air Canada flight AC754 is also the first part of a longer journey of discovery.

What will I see, what will I do, what will I learn? These are all questions that I have been asked and which I internally continue to ask myself. I know that in Uganda I will be working with children who are orphans of AIDS and sponsored through Children of Grace. We will be running a camp for these kids, playing games with them, studying the bible with them, and giving them a place where they can relax and just be kids, forgetting the worries and stresses of their lives during the rest of the year. This is the "brochure" explanation, but I know from past experiences that this is only surface level. The relationships built, the memories made, the lessons learned, the cultural and emotional challenges... These are impossible to predict, but what really makes these kinds of experiences ones that will resonate for a lifetime.

The same can be said for my time in the Congo, where I'll be staying and working with the founders of HEAL Africa. My mission their is not set in stone and there are many different opportunities. February in the Congo will be used to shape the my future involvement in Goma and when I will return after March.

I am excited and a little nervous as I head out this evening. For those of you who pray, I would ask that you pray for the orphaned children in Uganda that will attend our camp, for travel safety for our team going to Uganda, and for me, that I would be listening for and following God's guiding voice in my life.

-Timo
Collossians 3:17

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you make it dude?
-dino

Anonymous said...

So, How is it going?
I'm sure it has been a long inspirational journey already. Keep us updated when you get a chance! God Bless!
-Becca