Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The lost Key

This is a quick story of how I greatly underestimate the goodness of people at times. I'm in Kigali Rwanda, and for some reason I just can't help but think that everyone is out to get the Muzungu (white person, as they call us). Not outwardly, but inwardly I admit that I was having a hard time completely trusting the bus drivers and taxi cabs especially. So, when we got back to the hotel and I realized my key had fallen out of my pocket at some point. I thought that it was lost for sure. Who is going to return a key. Anyone who finds it is going to just keep it and use it for something.... what, I don't really know, but that's how I was thinking. When I returned to the bus station the next day (think 15 passenger vans leaving from a mechanics shop - not greyhound bus terminal), I thought I was grasping for straws. But they said to come back after noon and they would let us know. So 4pm we stopped by the bus station and much to my surprise the lady behind the counter, who has 10 people talking to her at once and waving money for bus tickets in front of her face, looks up with a smile. She reaches under the desk and pulls out not only the key, but also a dinner receipt that had fallen out of my pocket with the key.... When will I learn my lesson and have more faith!

2 comments:

Robin Oas Designs said...

Thanks for all the posts! It's amazing to hear all that you're learning and the amazing ways God's at work! Keep pressing in hard to the race before you and I'll be praying for you! Blessings Timo!

Check out Romans 5:1-8...it's a great one to lean on the truth it gives while out in ministry! :)
(and 1 Peter 5:7)

-Robin

Aunt Jess said...

Wow Timo- I loved reading this story- People are so good. I wanted to let you know that the 6th grade class in my school is doing a service project for Africa, so I am forwarding your blog to their teacher. I know they will enjoy reading and listening to your stories~
Miss you and love you!