Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Timo and the Volcano

The volcano was officially reopened about 3 weeks ago. A group of 5 of us decided to give it a go and headed up a week after it was opened. This hike felt like Africa. The Africa that most people in the states picture. Not the one with wide open plains and safaris (that's Kenya and Tanzania) but the rainforest Africa.


We had two armed guards with us and 2 porters to help carry our things, and headed up shortly after 1pm. It was hot at the bottom, rained on us half way up, and was windy and freezing cold at the top! The first quarter of the hike was along a thin trail through the densely forested base of the volcano.

The trail went straight up the volcano, with almost no switchbacks. I marveled at the views when the clouds finally broke. We could see Goma and Lake Kivu far below. And like most cities seen from afar there appeared to be a semblance of order that one finds difficult to encounter when actually walking the streets of the city.

When we got to the top, we were warmly greeted to the sights and sounds of the lava boiling up in the center of the volcano! It was like something out of The Lord of The Rings. I kept looking behind me, sensing some sort of Golem lurking in the shadows....



We spent the night on the rim at the top of the volcano, falling asleep to the sounds of molten magma gurgling and moving like the ocean.. It was amazing. I couldn't help by think of the power of God as I pondered this molten magma coming from deep within the earth and just waiting for its chance to be released.

2 comments:

Joan P. said...

Wow that's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I be enduring be familiar with a few of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I definitely like your tastefulness of blogging. I added it to my favorites web stage list and resolve be checking assist soon. Cheer report register into public notice my position as approvingly and let me conscious what you think. Thanks.